Adobe ceases development on mobile browser Flash, refocuses efforts on HTML5
So this seems to be big news coming in from last night: ZDNet is reporting that Exclusive: Adobe has ceased development on mobile browser Flash and will refocus efforts on HTML5.
This is interesting for a few different reasons... my thoughts:
- Was Apple right from the start?
- Will this affect the competitive advantage that Android tablets and phones have over the iPhone in their ability to run flash?
- Has Adobe admitted defeat? If the iPhone wasn't a force to be reckoned with, why not continue development (assuming they believe that the future is in Flash and not HTML5)?
- How will they deal with the issues in HTML5 that Flash has been effective for working around, ie: code obfuscation, hiding your source files, etc? (though this is more an issue for the desktop and not mobile I suppose).
- Is this a prelude for things to come for the desktop?
Some other reading can be done over at yahoo news
or the official press release over at Adobe
Posted by Arcterex at November 09, 2011 09:21 AM